Sunday, October 18, 2009

October 18th, 2009- I AM Meditation

All of us has thoughts about who we are. Everyone has a self-image that can be made up of hundreds of ideas or thoughts. For example: "I am a woman. I am a man. I am an opera singer. I am a musician. I am a writer. I am a nurse. I am a computer programmer. I am a bookkeeper. I am ugly. I am beatiful" and the list can go on and on.
But beyond all the descriptions that we have of ourselves or others have of us, there is the simple reality of "I AM THAT I AM", or "I EXIST". What I am is beyond words or definition. In this identity lies a security, a strength, and a confidence that nothing can shake. Above what we think about ourselves, the truth is- WE ARE THAT WE ARE.

All meditation or keeping still method help us to experience our unalterable identity. This particular meditation helps you accomplish this. By practicing it, nerves can be calmed, confiedence created, and you can remain very calm in the midst of frantic change.

BASIC POSITION:
Sit comfortably on the floor with your legs crossed and your spine straight. If sitting on a chair, make sure both feet are flat on the floor. Close your eyes and sit quietly. Take your left hand and place it in front of your heart, six inches aways, with your palm facing your body. Take your right hand and place it over your left one.

CHANTING:
Now in a whisper or out loud say "I AM" and bring the hands in two inches (approx.) closer to your chest as you say it. Then say "I AM" again, and this time bring the hands out to twelve inches (approx.) away from the chest. Then inhale through the nose and bring the hands back to the original position.  Repeat again and continue this cycle as long as you feel comfortable. Once done, bring the arms down and relax. Sit still for another minute or two, letting the "I AM I AM" echo in you.

This meditation is an affirmation of your spiritual essence. It calls to our sense of self-worth, self-esteem, and self-confidence. The idea behind the three movements is this: first (neutral position) "I AM with my spiritual self", then (closer to the chest) "I AM with physical/emotional/psychological self", and finally (extending the arms away from the chest) "I AM with the world" in recognition of the mark we make in the world around us.

TIMING:
You can begin with 1-3 minutes and increase the timing with the practice. I personally like to do this meditation at night before I go to bed. The calmness it creates, helps the mind to relax. However, it can be useful to do it in the morning as a way to enter into the physical world. And in reality, it can be done at any time when we need to center and balance our thoughts or energies.

If you practice it, let us know how was your experience. We all can learn from each other and all of us has something useful to contribute.

Sometimes we can create a meditative state of mind by the music we listen to. Here is a link to a music store online that have music to sooth our moods. It may not be for all of you but for some ... it may be a nice resource:     http://www.spiritvoyage.com/


ENJOY YOURSELF!

No comments:

Post a Comment